Saturday, March 15, 2014

a taste of spring

With the start of March, the emergence of the sun, and St.Patrick's day upon us, I decided a spring post was in order. As winter dwindles and the air smells fresh again, I find myself craving healthy fruits and vegetables more than ever. That is why after a beautiful afternoon spent in Prospect Park I came home and created this green little wonder. 

Sure, there are some who jump in excitement at the sight of a green smoothie, however, there are certainly others who take one look at the color and turn their noses in the opposite direction. I know this because I used to be one of those people. But what I want to stress about this smoothie is that is does not taste like grass. For those who are not used to mixing in veggies to fruit smoothies, I hope that you will give this a chance, because I promise, you can't taste what makes it green. 
Usually when I mix up smoothies and other blended concoctions I don't measure whatever it is I'm tossing in. For this post however, I decided it might be useful--so as not to overpower the smoothie with spinach, or coconut milk for that matter. 

Ingredients 
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 cup spinach (about a large handful) 
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup pear juice (or any other juice which you might like)
  • 1/4 cup almond milk 
  • 1/2 cup chopped cantaloupe
As far as steps go, there is only one: throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Simple.

In terms of nutrient content: spinach is an extremely nutritious leafy green. But you already know that. What you might not know, however, is that it has lots of vitamin A, E, and K - which are fat soluble vitamins (meaning fat is necessary for absorption and storage). 

Because this smoothie uses coconut milk which has some fat, your body is able to make better use of all of these vitamins, rather than if it called for water, fat free yogurt, or fruit juice exclusively. Additionally, banana provides potassium and the richness of the drink, while the almond milk provides lots of calcium (even more than milk), making this ideal for vegans, or the lactose intolerant. 

Regardless of dietary restrictions, this smoothie is tropical and delicious and I urge those who aren't used to green smoothies to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment